Just sitting here with entirely too much time on my hands, so I just had to get some things out of my system.
1. Why is it difficult for marquee programs to find a head coach? Yes, I'm talking to you Florida, Miami, and possibly Michigan again.
2. Speaking of Michigan, don't you think that the reason they get turned down by others is because everyone in Ann Arbor keeps clamoring for a Michigan man?
3. Why does Auburn assistant Trooper Taylor get just as much face time as Cam Newton? I swear, if I didn't watch football, I'd think he was the coach.
4. Why can't Houston get an invite to join the Big 12? Please don't tell me it's about academics.
5. Is Temple's Al Golden holding out for the Penn State job?
6. Also, isn't the shine off of Rutgers' Greg Schiano and Fresno State's Pat Hill?
7. Won't the new Mountain West look like the WAC of the 1980's?
8. What happened to the days when an 8-3 record still got you a top 10 ranking and job security?
9. Why doesn't Texas Tech admit they made a mistake a bring back Mike Leach and his gimmicky offense?
10. Why did Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson take the Indiana job? I hope he's able to turn the Hoosiers into a bowl eligible program.
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Well, Chizik is close to having the last laugh. He's headed to the BCS title game with the probable Heisman Trophy winner in tow. Everyone that said he wasn't the right choice and that Saban would rule the state of Alabama are now eating crow. Chizik will feel complete redemption if he wins the national championship. The Tigers have surprised everyone, including me. I knew Cam Newton was a difference maker, but damn, this kind of difference maker. Who knew? I know what everyone is saying now. Cam Newton has "made" Gene Chizik. Even though Newton has led the Tigers on some memorable comebacks, it's been a good marriage between the two. More specifically Newton and Chizik's most important hire, offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn.
Of course for this story to have a happy ending they'll have to get by Oregon. Not impossible, but considering everything they've been through and what they've done all year I wouldn't doubt them now.
Duke is a very good basketball team, with or without super freshman Kyrie Irving.They probably will win the national championship again, but stranger things have happened. But why do we have to be treated to clunker games on television like the ones against Bradley and Saint Louis. I know Duke may be a ratings draw and we get to hear Dick Vitale preach the Blue Devil gospel, but we don't need to see that much of them. We know Bradley or Saint Louis had no real shot at winning those games. It's like watching the old Superstars of Wrestling on Saturday back in the day. You remember the matches like Iron Mike Sharpe vs. The Ultimate Warrior. You wanted to see Sharpe get over but also knew he had no real chance at winning. Same for watching the Bradley's of the world taking on Duke on national tv. The network's execs (the four letter network) could've picked a better matchup. I would've rather watched Missouri vs. Vandy.
But damn what I think, just keep feeding us Duke, like they give us the Yankees vs. Red Sox year after year.
Or in this case, King Kong Bundy vs. Ronnie Dee.