Friday, February 4, 2011

If Momma's Not Happy, Nobody's Happy

When national signing day comes around for high school seniors to choose a school parents are normally happy to see their kid move on to the next phase of their life. Sometimes they'll choose a school close to home, go to where their parents went, or move far away as possible to see how it is at a place different from where they came from. Parents won't always agree, but are usually so proud they don't care. This past week there was a player whose name escapes me right now, his mom forged a letter of intent. Now we have the case of Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett is highly thought of in recruiting circles and a very talented athlete. He was called the best uncommitted quarterback and was being recruited by Florida, Miami (the U), Wisconsin, and North Carolina to play basketball. So you know he's good, at least at the high school level. He made his announcement during his senior night basketball ceremony. He chose Florida. And mama's not happy.  

Ellicia Brown, Brissett's mother, wanted him to go to Miami. Brissett won't send his letter of intent until Monday, so maybe mom figures she can "talk some sense into him". Brown isn't too thrilled about how Florida handled the process of Brissett's recruitment.

“Not my choice,” Brown said. “I’m very disappointed. I didn’t like the way Florida handled the process. I’ve never been able to meet the head coach … I’ve never met (Will Muschamp) face-to-face and I find that very disrespectful and I’m just hurt with the whole process with the Gators. I was hoping that he would respect me and go to ‘The U’ because ‘The U’ showed respect to his mom.”


“He knew I would be hurt and disappointed,” Brown said. “So he texted me.”

There was a mixture of boos and cheers from the crowd, some decked out in Hurricanes gear, left the game.

I see she realizes that it's his choice, but it is what it is. He's doing what he feels is in his best interest, since he wants to play both basketball and football in college. Florida has a better program in both sports than Miami at this point. Also, maybe if Randy Shannon was still coaching the Canes maybe Brissett would be "taking his talents to South Beach".  Just support his decision and give him the unconditional love only a mother can give her son.



  

No comments: