Friday, March 18, 2011

Rose Aims To Smooth Things Over With Hill


Jalen Rose said he wants to give Grant Hill a hug, talk things over and continue a good relationship with the former Duke star. Rose also said the media and the public sensationalized him calling Hill "an Uncle Tom" during the ESPN Fab Five documentary he produced.

In the detnews.com article, Rose said that people made too much of the controversial comment.


"Please stress I was discussing what I said or thought as a high school recruit," Rose said. "People say that I am a racist. Well the last time I checked I am black and he (Hill) was black. If anything, it was a social economic issue. I was an urban youth and I said I was jealous of that. I was motivated by that.


"Now at the point I am in life, I want that for my family. The way his family raised him is the way I am trying to raise my kids. So for people to fast forward saying that what I believed as a kid is the same I believe as an adult is ignorant."


This may sound biased, but you can't say this is how a man feels twenty years down the road. True, Rose had some disparaging things to say back then. Key words "back then". Stop jumping down this man's throat for something he felt as a youth. I'm sure there are many of us in white and black America who may have thought ill of someone you thought was "trying to be black" or "acting white". It still goes on today.

What he said wasn't right but at least he had the guts to say it where others keep their feelings in the closet.


Would Duke have gone after Rose, a top-10 player, if he had the perfect background? Yes. Would Hill have been on Duke's list if he came from Rose's background? No, and therein lies Rose's point. Class and race play a factor in whom Duke chooses to recruit.

No comments: