Sunday, April 24, 2011

What's With The Orioles Luke Scott Throwing Banana Chips

The Baltimore Orioles Luke Scott should really be careful about his choice of words. His opinions are his opinions, like Barack Obama not being born in the United States. But when you start throwing banana chips at a Dominican teammate (Felix Pie) and saying he acts like a savage, you're treading into dangerous waters.

“Felix is my friend,” he says. “I give him a hard time. The reason why I give him a hard time is because there are certain people you deal with and you go up and talk to them, and it doesn’t work. They don’t understand. … I tell him about some of the ways he’s acted: ‘Look, you’re acting like an animal, you’re acting like a savage.’”



He also explained why he throws banana chips into the helmet of his Dominican teammate.


“Here are my banana chips to remind him that whenever he acts like an animal, ‘Hey, that’s what other people are thinking. They’re just not telling you, but that’s what they’re thinking about. And I’m telling you so that you’re aware of that so you can make a cognitive decision to not behave like that.’”

I don't know how friendly they are but someone should explain to Pie that those particular actions might be borderline. I'll stop short of calling Scott a racist, because I believe he isn't. He just needs a better choice of words and actions. Maybe it's one of those locker rooms where everything goes, who knows. Remember John Rocker thought the same thing and wasn't well received in his after what he said. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would've said the same thing but I figured I'd let an Orioles fan enlighten me.