Saturday, June 25, 2011

Romar Unlikely To Leave Washington

When the Minnesota Timberwolves fired Kurt Rambis one of the names floated out there to be the new coach was the University of Washington's Lorenzo Romar.

However Romar has no plans on leaving Seattle anytime soon and it sounds like he has no desire to coach in the NBA in the foreseeable future. In an interview in the Seattle Times, Romar sounds comfortable in his current position and knows he has it good where he's at.

"No. 1 I went to school and played here. I've been pulling for this university and the athletics here and the basketball program for over 30 years. I'm invested in this program. I've always been a fan of the Pac-8, the Pac-10 and now what will be the Pac-12. I love Seattle. My wife loves Seattle and it's a place that when we first got here even though some were very skeptical, I thought it was a place where we could be successful. To take a place where you attended, played and went to school and to take that program potentially to great heights is a great, great fun challenge."



"I did play in the NBA so that mystique of what it would be like up there doesn't exist. I know things have changed. It was a long time ago that I played. ... Even though it was eons ago, I still played and saw a little bit of what it was like up there. I'm still fairly close to it because you have your own players on NBA teams. There's guys that I played with that are coaching or in management so I still have an idea of what's going on. So I don't have that itch to go do that."


Sounds like someone that has a lot of pride in their alma mater and loves the area. He knows the grass isn't greener on the other side, especially in this case. Only a fool would take the timberwolves job and that fool will be named in the next few months. As long as David Kahn is running things up there in Minnesota things aren't going to get a whole lot better and they'll be going through a a bushel of coaches if the win-loss record doesn't improve.  

No comments: