Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vontaze Burfict has options

With news of a failed drug test and his draft stock near rock bottom, former Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict is already looking at other options in case the NFL doesn't work out.

Here's a quick rundown of Burfict. He once was thought of as first round material, but his weight ballooned to an unmanageable 259 pounds. His production slipped and Burfict became a walking personal foul, many that cost his team. Since then he's slipped off teams' draft boards due to a poor combine and character concerns.

Burfict figures that if he doesn't get drafted or make it on an NFL roster that he'll play in the Arena league or go back to school.

"I'm truly blessed just to be in the position that I'm in right now," he said. "If I don't get drafted then I will have to go back to school, but I love football so much that I won't give up on football. But I will go back to school and finish up my schooling and stuff like that and probably go somewhere else like Arena football or something but hopefully I make it to the NFL.” 


I'll say this much, at least he has a backup plan. Not much I can say for others.


If I were a GM I'd take a late round flyer on the guy. If he's disciplined enough he could be the steal of the draft. If you get the human personal foul, he could get you fired.

No comments: