Friday, May 4, 2012

Delmon Young apologizes, answers questions from media

After a week of hearing nothing from him Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young met with the media to apologize and answer questions. 

Although he probably had someone write this out for him and was coached on what to say, Young appeared to be emotional at times but contrite about his misgivings. Young didn't point fingers or try to blame anyone else. He placed the blame at his feet. He couldn't speak on anything case related, but I get the feeling that he'll get off light.

"I put myself in a bad situation and have no one to blame but myself. I'm currently getting treatment in an alcohol program through Major League Baseball," he said. "I just want to let people know that I'm not all the things that are saying about me. I made a lapse in judgment, but I can tell you that I am not an anti-Semitic.


"I wasn't raised that way. I come from a good family


"I hope that through the treatment program, I'll get all the help I need to come back and be a great teammate and successful baseball player in the Tigers' organization.


"I'll let my action from here on out take care of itself."



"With the job we have, everything is going to be public whether it's good or bad," said Young, 26. "It comes with the territory of being a professional athlete.

"I hope that after a while that people will see the person who's being portrayed isn't who I am. But I know it's going to take a while. You don't convince anyone with one speech."

Young also spoke with a local rabbi and both said it was a "wonderful conversation".

The only way this blows over is if Young works hard, keeps his mouth shut, and produces. If he doesn't he'll hear about it all year.





No comments: