Monday, July 16, 2012

Smoltz suggests that Strasburg should fake injuries

The Washington Nationals are sticking by their stance on the number of innings that pitcher Stephen Strasburg will pitch this season. Pennant race or not the Nationals are not going to let Strasburg overwork himself.

Now I necessarily don't agree with that philosophy. I say go with your best and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe that's why I only manage teams on video games. Former Atlanta Braves pitcher, John Smoltz, chipped in on what he would do to shave some innings and save himself for the September stretch.

“Honestly, I know this is gonna sound . . . well, I’m a little bit different anyways,” Smoltz began. “I’d create my own little gap. I’d have a blister one day, maybe a hangnail the next start. You know, I think there’s ways to do it. And I get it — their statement is every game counts. Well, it does, but it doesn’t count as much as in September.


Sounds like something he has first hand experience in doing. I don't find anything wrong with it, it's not like he's going down with a fake knee injury or anything like that. It's something that Strasburg might want to think about since he might miss some critical starts down the stretch due to his team's insistence that he pitch a certain number of innings.  

No comments: