Thursday, February 28, 2013

Barret Robbins doesn't remember Super Bowl XXXVII

Former Oakland Raiders receiver Tim Brown called out his former coach Bill Callahan for allegedly sabotaging the Raiders in their Super Bowl blowout loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  

When he made those allegations Brown mentioned that Callahan changed the game plan and center Barret Robbins begged Callahan not to change it.

"Barret Robbins begged Coach Callahan, 'Do not do this to me. I don't have time to make my calls, to get my calls ready. You can't do this to me on a Friday,'" Brown said. 

Every former Raider teammate this side of Jerry Rice that has spoken out on this subject says that Brown's allegations are a bunch of bull. Robbins had something to say about it. He said he has no memory of Super Bowl XXXVII. Anyone in the know remembers that Robbins disappeared in Tijuana two days before the Super Bowl.

During an interview with Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Robbins said he has no recollection of the events that took place.

“I would be absolutely wrong to tell you that that was the case,” Robbins said during an interview with Sports Radio 610. “If Tim Brown goes on record and says that he changed the game plan on Friday, I don't remember. Because you've got to understand, I was going through a manic episode that had lasted more than two weeks. At that point in time, when we went to the Super Bowl, I was having to shoot my foot up, I was having acupuncture, going through a lot of pain. It was a lot of stress. Pain is a big trigger when it comes to bipolar (disorder) -- that was something I was going through, as well as self-medicating.”

“I'm not going to say that I remember the exact meeting that took place, but I haven't heard anybody deny it,” Robbins said.

I'm no psychiatrist but that pretty much explains why he was in Tijuana on a bender before the game and was unable to play.

What I remember is that Tampa Bay's defense pretty much knew what the Raiders offense was going to throw at them all game and it resulted in Rich Gannon probably having the worse game of  his life.

Hopefully this will be the end of this particular story.

No comments: