Sunday, December 26, 2010

Jamie Moyer Wants To Keep Pitching

If your left handed and can get the ball over the plate, you can pitch forever, as long as your effective. Even if you've had Tommy John surgery. Maybe that's why Jamie Moyer wants to keep pitching and doesn't want to be told when to quit.

Moyer is eyeing a comeback in 2012 after going 9-9 with a 4.84 ERA with the Philadelphia Phillies last season, before missing the second half of the season after straining his left elbow. Moyer will be close to 50 when and if he begins his comeback. He's clearly not ready to give up baseball yet.

"In all honesty, I just don't feel like I'm ready to give it up. I feel I'm entitled to make my own decision," Moyer told the Seattle Times. "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which people don't seem to be shy about expressing."


"It may be difficult to find a job at the age of 49," Moyer said, the Times reported. "Then again, it may not be. I know where I stand: I'll probably get a spring training invitation . . . I don't have a problem with that. Throughout my career, I've always had to earn the situation I've been in. I don't expect anyone to give me anything. It's never been that way, so why now?"


I'll say this much. Throughout his career he's been consistent and effective. You do know what your gonna get from him. He's never been a hard thrower, so that's probably enabled him to last as long as he has. Most would probably be eyeing retirement, but Moyer feels that he can still help someone win games. I don't think this has anything to do with money. It's more personal pride and going out on his own terms rather than having someone else tell him when to go. Baseball is all he knows. 




  

No comments: