Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Verlander says he would accept a gay teammate

During an interview with CNN's Carol Costello, Detroit Tigers pitcher, Justin Verlander, said that he would "absolutely" accept an openly gay player on his team.

"I wouldn't mind it," Verlander added.

While some players in the major professional sports have reservations about having a gay teammate, it's almost a breath of fresh air to hear one of baseball's big names to say he'd welcome a gay teammate. I still don't think anyone is ready to face it head on no matter how they speak on the subject.

Verlander went on to say that he's "pretty sure" that there are gay players currently playing in the majors and that the Tigers are equipped to have a gay player in the clubhouse.

"I'm sure there are," Verlander said when asked if there are currently gay MLB players. "I think as with any sport, a gay player would be hesitant to come out, but the sheer number says there absolutely is."


"Yeah, I don't see why not, given the right situation, and a team that's a family atmosphere, and I feel like we have that atmosphere here. I don't think one of our players would be scared to come out. We got 25 guys, it's a family, and our goal is to win a World Series. What your sexual orientation is, I don't see how that affects the ultimate goal of our family.

I agree with what he's saying but he doesn't speak for the rest of his teammates who might feel differently about it. It really shouldn't matter as long as he would be helping your team compete an win championships while performing at a high level. Right now it won't be accepted and I'm pretty sure we're a long way off from seeing a player come out.

1 comment:

cotton percale bedding said...

Verlander went on to say that he's "pretty sure" that there are gay players currently playing in the majors and that the Tigers are equipped to have a gay player in the clubhouse.
4pcs velvet bed sheet
velvet bedsheet for winter