Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Former Packer Leroy Butler, loses church speaking engagement over Jason Collins tweet

NBA player Jason Collins has received a lot of support and some backlash after announcing that he was gay. He has become the first active player in a major sport to do so.

Former Green Bay Packers safety Leroy Butler offered a few words of support via Twitter. 

Congrats to Jason Collins.

Seemingly harmless, but not to the church where Butler had a speech scheduled.  A Wisconsin church cancelled Butler's engagement because of support to Collins for being strong enough to come out and announce that he was gay.

Butler tweeted: “Wow, I was scheduled to speak at a church in WI, and a member said that the pastor wants to cancel my event. I said ok why? Then I was told, because I said congrats to Jason Collins on Twitter,” Butler wrote. “I said really? we have a contract, he said check the moral cause, FYI the fee was $8,500, then I was told if I removed the tweet, and apologize and ask god forgiveness, I can have the event. I said no, only god can judge.”

I'm not one to get into the religious aspect of this whole debate. But churches would condemn millions if they knew about all the others sins that happen daily. I can see where the church has their beliefs and they can cancel out anyone who doesn't share them.

I applaud Butler for not bowing down and caving in to how many feel about Collins coming out.

Personally, if Collins was on a team I was a fan of I wouldn't care as long as he helped my team win games. Other than that, it's his life.

I understand both sides of this debate but I wonder how the church Collins attends feels about it.

No comments: