Sunday, January 15, 2012

Oregon's Darron Thomas Entering NFL Draft

Ina shcoking development, Oregon quarterback Darron Thomas has entered the NFL Draft. after the Rose Bowl many figured Thomas would be coming back for his senior season. I guess he pulled the wool over everyone's eyes on that one.

“I came to this decision on behalf of myself and my family,” Thomas said in the official release. “I have a dream of playing in the NFL and I’m going to pursue those dreams.



“I would like to thank everyone in Oregon for all their support and I would thank the coaches for all their help, especially Coach (Chip) Kelly. I love my teammates and wish them the best of luck, and am confident they will continue the winning tradition that has been established. Last but not least, I thank all the Oregon fans for their help and support.”

Thomas said that he would be coming back in December, but that won't happen now. It's a blow to a program that lost it's starting running back (LaMichael James) to the draft already. The Ducks would've been a co-favorite to win the Pac-12 with USC. Now it looks like the road for the Trojans just got a bit easier. It's not the end for the Ducks but I don't see them being the force they were over the past three seasons. Coach Chip Kelly seemed luke warm about the jump to the NFL.

“As in all cases, we educate our players with the information we feel will be beneficial to them throughout the process but ultimately, the decision is left up to the players. I will always support Darron in his decision and want to thank him for everything he has done for this program. He obviously has played a major role in elevating Oregon football to new heights and I wish him well in the future.”


As for Thomas, he's not listed in any pre-draft position rankings, so he might have a long climb ahead for him. At 6-3 and 215 pounds he could have a future at quarterback, but there are many who will call him an athlete. Maybe the success of Cam Newton gave him the idea that he may have a shot. Being a run pass threat, I think he could turn into a legit NFL quarterback. If he's given the time and coaching.  

I don't know what his line of thinking was but I'm not one to try and crush anyone's dreams. If he puts together a monster combine (if he's invited) or pro day, who knows what can happen. I would like to see him get a legitimate shot to play quarterback. If he can't hack it, change his position, or he can go to Canada. I wish him the best of luck in chsing his dreams.    

No comments: