Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tiki Barber Gives Up His Comeback

Tiki Barber has officially given up his dream of coming back to the NFL. Before he embarked on this mission, he should've known it was going to come to this. He burned too many bridges as a player and analyst and expected the teams in the league to welcome him with open arms.

His time away from the game (5 years) and his age (36) worked against him. Also his comments regarding his former team the New York Giants, didn't help his cause either. Barber officially made the announcement after Giants head coach Tom Coughlin rejected a meeting to call a truce.

"We tried. He said no, through his agent, (Giants vice president of communications) Pat Hanlon," Barber said. "But one of these days I'm sure it'll happen, because as we know, time heals all wounds. And I think at the end of the day, Giants fans, despite their dislike of me at times, know that I was one of the guys that put (it) on the line every time I put on my uniform."


I'm sure it wasn't to beg for a job, but he should've never announced that he was attempting a comeback. Even if Plaxico Burress proclaimed Barber was better than half the backs in the league. Who is he better than right now Plax? I'd like to know. Anyways, Barber says he won't be trying anymore comebacks.

"No. No. I'm not trying to come back," Barber said. "It was an excuse for me to get up off the couch and do something, and it worked, because now I'm engaged in a few different things and I feel really strong about where I am personally, and that's all that matters in life."


Sounds like denial to me, but oh well. We won't have to hear about Barber for some time.



      

No comments: