Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Kobe doesn't take charges

There has been a big deal about flopping recently and David Stern isn't happy about it. On the flipside of that subject Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant told reporters not to expect him to take any charges.

"We got a couple guys that take charges, but for the most part, the one guy that took a charge is now playing in Oklahoma," Bryant told reporters after practice Tuesday, referring to Derek Fisher. "I don't take charges. Metta (World Peace) don't take charges. Steve (Blake) will take a charge every now and then, but most everybody else just stands up and plays." 


Standing up and playing didn't help them in Game 1 against the Oklahoma City Thunder and they could've used some charges to help them out last night. Bryant says he doesn't take charges to preserve his health and credits it to his longevity in the NBA.


"I learned from my predecessors," Bryant said. "(Scottie) Pippen had a (messed) up back taking charges. (Larry) Bird had a (messed) up back taking charges. I said, 'I'm not taking charges.' I figured that ... out at an early age.



"I've seen Michael (Jordan) not take one ... charge, and he's healthy his whole career, and the same thing with Magic (Johnson). I might not be the smartest guy in the room, but I can figure that ... out."


I do agree with Bryant and he is a season vet and one day he'll take another one and it won't be by accident.  

No comments: